Sunday 13 February 2011

Aston Hill

Aston Hill September 2010 was my first proper race. So I didn't really know what to expect. I went with Russ and Brian and Simon, all had been racing before, Simon and Russ had both done loads of DH racing, with Russ grabbing 6th at the last Aston Hill Black Run race earlier in the year.

Day one, Saturday was practice day, which went well. Only a couple of minor crashes. I couldn't get over how steep it got, the top was really flat with loads of peddling and couple of jumps, then loads of off camber corners, then the hill just got steeper and steeper, with loads of switch back berms. All in all great fun to ride.

Day two, Sunday was Race day, practise for me went really well, did a few full runs, and mucked about on the top section a lot, as there was a fairly big jump on to the fire road, which was loads of fun, just trying to hit faster and faster. Russ wasn't so lucky with a crash in the off camber section, managed to make a mess of his elbow and had to go to hospital which was a massive shame. Brian was first down the hill out of us lot and came in 1:12.63 grabbing 15th in Masters, Next down was Simon 1:10.78 placing him 28th. Then it was my turn, this being my first race, i was just wanting to have fun, not take it to seriously. I set off, hammered it down the first flat out top section and over the kicker, sending proper big, with massive cheers from the crowd, going fast into the off camber section, then disaster struck. My chain came off!!! Well came off between the chainring and bash guard so I could still peddle, but not properly. It felt like i just cruised the rest of the track, staying off the breaks and trying to peddle. I ended up with a 1:10.35 somehow placing 25th!!! even with a mechanical i'd managed to get a top 30! I was chuffed to say the least.

I headed back to the Van, fixed up my bash guard so that the chain wouldn't come off again, and went back to watch Brian's second run, which he shaved nearly another 2 seconds off his time finishing 13th in Master! To say i'm stoked for him would be an understatement.

Then it was my turn which would never happen. One of the other riders had a massive crash on there second run and had to be air lifter out with suspected broken neck, hopefully the guy was alright and is riding a bike again. we had to leave as it was getting late, they did finally restart the race but not till we'd left. Placing Simon 32nd and myself 30th, i was still pleased with my result, but really wanted that second run, but these things happen. there is always next year.

I got back home and started packing for Whistler...

More on that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment