Friday 11 February 2011

Summers Here!

Spring came and went incredibly fast, it was mostly dry and warm. We managed to get a lot of digging done at the local spot ready for the summer. The lads had offered me a place on their trip to the Alps later in the summer for the Mountain Style Comp and the rest of the week to riding. But had to turn it down as i'd just booked flights to Canada, and ultimately a road trip up to Whistler AKA the mecca of mountain biking in North America (if not the world).

So the booking of my trip to Vancouver and Whistler had brought on some new goals for the summer. I knew i was going to have to get fitter for starters to help deal with the arm pump i was possibly going to get. I'd made the mistake when i went to the Alps back in 08 of not training before i went and so suffered a massive amount of arm pump, which bloody hurts and make it impossible to hold onto the handlebars. I didn't want this happening again.

So I thought about getting gym membership and working out. But the thought of being surrounded by pumped up guys with little dicks wasn't my cup of tea, plus the idea of running on a tread mill getting literally nowhere doesn't really tickle my pickle. So I settled for more riding and digging. Which in turn complement each other, with new trails and jumps comes better technique and ability on a bike. This was starting to take effect, the jumps were getting bigger all the time, one of the doubles being over 30ft, with more technical lines in to them as well, and so a new exercise is starting to set in, in the form of mental exercise. Being physically fit isn't mush of a problem to me, having the bollocks to hit a 20ft or 30ft Gap stepdown for the first time, was kinda new. I'd been doing tables for years, but after a hard crash when i was in my teens I'd lost my confidence doing doubles. So I was back to square one again doing this kinda thing. so i set myself the challenge of taking on one jump at a time and getting that dialled before moving on to the next.

1 comment:

  1. a lot of other ( non Biker) folk used to enjoy this wood before you lot started digging it up, destroying plants etc. plus scarring walking with dogs, I was once narrowly missed when a biker came shooting out of a new and barely visible path, just stopping literally a few inches from one of my dogs shoulder.. WHY CANT WE SIMPLY "SHARE" THESE WOODS, ... THEY ARE OUR LOCAL WOODS, WE LOVED TO WALK THERE, WHY CANT YOU FIND WOODS NEAR YOUR HOME..

    ReplyDelete